Friday, March 21, 2014

Driving in Ethiopia through the eyes of a rule following American


If you have ever travelled outside of the western world, you will never cease to be “amazed” by the driving.  On my other trips, I’ve always noticed it, but this time, I have decided to write it down.  Here are some observations of driving in Ethiopia made by a rule following American.

Honking: This can mean many things…
A.) “I see you, and I will not run over you.”
B.) “You are about to hit me with your vehicle.”
C.) “Hello!”
D.) “It’s your turn.”
E.) “Everyone else is honking their horn, and I think I will too!”
F.) “I have an extra seat in the taxi.”

Roundabouts: It doesn’t matter if it is full and at a stand still.  There is always room for one more car.

You need a place to park on the street? No problem, park on the side of the road.  The side of the road is full? No problem, double park.  There is still no room for you to park? No problem, triple park.  You actually want to drive down the street? Nope, sorry.

You see your friend walking down the road. What do you do? Stop in the middle of the road to talk, of course.

Don’t run over animals (ex. donkeys, goats, cows). Their owners would probably be upset.

Don’t run over people (ex. men, women, children). Their families would be upset.

If you think your car won’t fit through a gap, you’re wrong. It always fits.

You don’t have a field to play football? It’s not a big deal.  Just use rocks to block off one side of the road. Now you have the perfect place to play a nice afternoon game of football.

Oh no! There’s a giant puddle/pothole in the road! It’s ok, drive around it.

Two lane road? I’m sure we can fit at least three cars across… Maybe even four if you get close enough to the concrete divider.

Part 2 of my travel story may or may not happen... I've just finished my first week at Bingham, and it's time for Spring Break! I only have email at school, so I don't think I'll have any email over the break.  Thank you for all your prayers.  It is greatly appreciated! I look forward to sharing more after the break is over! Feel free to email me--I would love to hear from people back home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment