Monday, March 31, 2014

Water Day Without Water

So I’ve been here for two weeks. My first week was just observing, and my second week was Spring Break. I’d say it was a nice way to ease into a new placement. I travelled to Lake Langano with my cooperating teacher, her family, and another teacher for Spring Break, and it was oh so relaxing.

My first week in Grade 2 was Ocean Week, so my teacher made all of her lessons ocean themed.  Much to the children’s delight, the week culminated by turning the playground into a water wonderland, and several other classes joined in the fun.  Before it was our turn to go outside, the water went out. Now if you’ve ever lived in a third world country, you know this is just the norm (In fact, the water has been out all week where I’m staying…). I was upset for the kids, and I just knew they were going to be upset too. Wrong. They went outside, and played in the left over puddles. For an hour. And they were happy, happy, happy! Some build mud castles, others drug each other down the puddle filled water slide with a rope, and some decided to lay in the sun to get “gloriously tan”. The water finally came on for the last 20 minutes, and I’m sure you can just hear the squeals of delight.

As I sat there watching them play (and avoiding my teacher with the hose), I couldn’t help but think about kids back home.  They would have pitched a fit and whined the entire time.  How many times do we complain about what we don’t have instead of taking time to appreciate what God has given us?  How many times do we worry about the future instead of enjoying the present? So today, if the water doesn’t come on, take time to play in the puddles. It’s more fun that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment